Conversions/casts one more time

Mark H. Colburn mark at ems.UUCP
Sun Dec 14 18:33:54 AEST 1986

>Adam Reed (mtund!adam) writes:
>
>Golly!  Guess they've changed the language on me again.  Last I heard,
>char variables were converted to int whan passed as parameters.

I thought that K&R stated that type coersions did not occur when values were
passed as parameters to a function.  If the compiler did do the coersion then
it would have to keep track of the type of parameter that is exepected to be
passed to the function, even though it may be in a different file, etc.
You start talking about PASCAL...

Anyways, I cannot refer to the specific page in K&R, somebody has snatched
my copy.

--
Mark H. Colburn             UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!ems!mark
EMS/McGraw-Hill              ATT: (612) 829-8200