draft ANSI standard: trigraphs rear their ugly heads again

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Fri Dec 5 15:59:14 AEST 1986

I still don't understand why the omission of the graphic characters
open/close curly brace was somehow necessary to provide a European
character set. Are those character sets defined by the characters
they exclude? Or is the pot calling the kettle black here?

It seems like we are now all in a mess, we don't have umlauts, they
don't have curly braces etc. Obviously a superset is the only remotely
acceptable solution.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University