ANSI C -- trigraphs and character sets

Colin Plumb ccplumb at watnot.UUCP
Thu Dec 18 02:35:46 AEST 1986

>>Page 10, line 1ff. The Standard should recognize the primacy of the ISO
>>Latin 1 character set.
>
>We (they, actually; that was before my time) tried to do
>essentially that once, but immediately ran up against the
>problem that some important vendors much prefer EBCDIC.

Are you sure that should be the plural "important vendors"?   :-)

Seriously, if "before your time" means any significant number of years, they
should try again.  With apologies to any EBCDIC (or other) users out there,
ASCII (And supersets, like the JIS standard) reigns pretty much unchallenged
these days.

	-Colin Plumb (ccplumb at watnot.UUCP)

Zippy says:
Hey, wait a minute!!  I want a divorce!!  ..you're not Clint Eastwood!!