draft ANSI standard: trigraphs rear their ugly heads again

Jerome M Lang jmlang at water.UUCP
Wed Dec 3 03:39:51 AEST 1986

In article <1381 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

>Of course, any code written in North America or the UK will use ASCII
>characters, so the Europeans will have to write a program to translate
>the imported {, }, etc into trigraphs.

Not quite true.  There is a French portion of North America. (Quebec
is well known). I remember at the Universite' de Moncton (In New
Brunswick, Canada) we had quite a few terminals that used a "French"
ascii.  Makes your code real funny.  Besides, doesn't the UK have some
differences in what they use as character set (the pound sign instead
of the dollar sign, at least).  This situation is very serious when
the code is in C.
--
Je'ro^me M. Lang	   ||    jmlang at water.bitnet        jmlang at water.uucp
Dept of Applied Math       ||			  jmlang%water at waterloo.csnet