new standard for malloc() suggested

braner braner at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Dec 12 15:33:47 AEST 1986

[]

Aha, now that we've been reminded of the low ceiling for malloc()'s
argument (an unsigned int, which on some systems is only 16 bits):

I've been bitten by this, and would like to see a bigmalloc() with
a LONG argument!  (Can't change malloc itself, that'll break current
programs...).

- Moshe Braner

PS: to iterate an earlier suggestion: let's REQUIRE that char, short,
int and long have a MINIMUM size of 8, 8, 16 and 32 bits respectively,
and perhaps that 'long' be large enough to hold a pointer to any type
(or at least the difference between two pointers whenever that difference
is meaningful) (only need 16 bits for THAT on an Intel chip :-)