Portable C code

woody%Juliet.Caltech.Edu at cit-hamlet.ARPA woody%Juliet.Caltech.Edu at cit-hamlet.ARPA
Fri Feb 28 22:11:09 AEST 1986

  I have been working on a very large program (~5000 lines-large for a college
student doing this by himself with 4 other classes) for a professor here.
  When I wrote it, I decided that it should be done in something that was
reasonably portable; I decided to do it in C.  This piece of code is now
running on a Macintosh, a VAX-750 under 4.2bsd, and I'm in the process of
moving it onto a VAX-750 under VMS and an IBM-PC/XT.  Believe me, had I wrote
this in assembler, pascal, or (heaven help me) fortrash, the work involved
in getting this program working on those four machines would have caused my
GPA to drop more than it has... :-)
  C may not be too portable, but it sure as heck is a lot more portable than
anything else I know (with the possible exception of LISP, but LISP would
have been too slow for what I wanted).
         - William Woody
      NET  Woody%Romeo at Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
   USNAIL  1-54 Lloyd, Caltech / Pasadena, CA 91126