Fast code and no morals

jon at csvax.caltech.edu jon at csvax.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 19 14:02:21 AEST 1986

>   > Date:	Sat, 15 Feb 86 21:43:34 EST
>   >
>   > If VMS does not support exit(0) as successful termination,
>   > then VMS is WRONG and needs to fix their exit() routine.
>   >		Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at BRL.ARPA>

>   Does the ANSI draft specify semantics for system calls ?
>
>			    / Lars Poulsen
>			      Advanced Computer Communications
>			     <Lars @ ACC.ARPA>

    To be nitpicking,  exit()  is  not	a  system  call,  although  it
    probably invokes one. In answer to	the  question,	the  April  30
    1985 draft says (Section D.10.4.2):

	    void exit(int status);

	    Finally, control is returned to the host environment.   If
	the value of status is zero, the status returned is SUCCESSFUL
	TERMINATION; otherwise an implementation-defined form  of  the
	status UNSUCCESSFUL TERMINATION is returned.

    Currently exiting  with  status  0	on  VMS  generates  a  message
complaining about the unknown exit status 0. I find this most annoying
in trying to port code from Unix (actually there  are  lots  of  other
misfeatures of VMS that qualify as MOST annoying, but...)

    -- Jon Leech (jon at csvax.caltech.edu)
    __@/