Integer division

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Mon Feb 3 10:00:44 AEST 1986

[ Line eaters?  Who ever hea

     Don't you  think this issue  has been beaten to death already?  How
about just agreeing that  both sorts  of behavior should be provided and
letting it  go at  that?   We have  different instructions which produce
this  behavior when the divisor is a power of two (shifts  and divides);
why can't we just have two sorts of divide?  Some will want one and some
the other, as in all religious debates -- and it's surely  not that hard
to satisfy both.
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One who accidentally destroys /
Wizard: One who recovers it afterward