pointers to void functions

jdz at wucec2.UUCP jdz at wucec2.UUCP
Tue Feb 18 13:10:01 AEST 1986

In article <943 at h-sc1.UUCP> clarke at h-sc1.UUCP (cam clarke) writes:
>I wrote this piece of code to experiment with catching signals under 4.2 BSD
>Unfortunately, cc and lint don't like the assignment "tch = catch;"
>I can't figure out why, but when I change catch to be an int function and
>change tch to point to an int function, my problem disappears. Anyone know
>why?
 [code omitted]
4.2 has some known deficiencies in its handling of void. The one you bring
up (catch is a function returning void, tch is of type pointer to function
returning void) is one of these. 4.3BSD cc fixes these bugs and results in
consistent handling of void. 4.3 should be available Real Soon Now.

Hope the workaround doesn't hurt too bad...
--
Jason D. Zions			...!{seismo,cbosgd,ihnp4}!wucs!wucec2!jdz
Box 1045 Washington University