Integer division

ladkin at kestrel.ARPA ladkin at kestrel.ARPA
Tue Feb 4 05:31:08 AEST 1986

In article <4917 at alice.UUCP>, td at alice.UucP (Tom Duff) writes:
> Pardon my flamage, but what sort of nonsense is this:
> reals in this manner.
> [......]
> On a higher level of discourse, this writer (Matthew P Whiner) seems
> to think that mathematicians enjoy some sort of moral and intellectual
> superiority to engineers and computer scientists.  Usually, this
> attitude is a symptom of envy, since mathematicians are so hard to
> employ, can't get decent salaries when they do find work, and have
> a much harder time raising grant money.  The smart ones embrace
> computer science rather than denigrating it.  The dull ones just
> say ``Computer Science? Pfui: that's not mathematics,'' thus demonstrating
> their lack of understanding of the nature of mathematics and of
> computer science.
>
> In summary:
> 	It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than
> to speak up and remove all doubt.

I don't think anybody should pardon this sort of thing.
Arrogance and snobbishness are best indulged in
between consenting adults in private.

Please let's clean up the discussion. This is an
important and interesting issue, as shown by the inability
of the participants to resolve it easily.

Peter Ladkin