gamma function

Chris Koenigsberg ckk at g.cs.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 6 02:59:46 AEST 1986

Someone mentioned the C gamma function which is really the log of
the gamma function, and asked why this is still called "gamma"...
The C math library for IBM's 4.2 BSD running on the new IBM RT PC
has renamed the gamma function to "lgama" since it returns the log of
gamma anyway. So all programs which call the gamma function now get
compiler errors on the RT PC. We have to add conditional compilation
commands to #DEFINE gamma as lgama on the RT PC. (Our programs run
on the Andrew system which is supposed to be machine-transparent
on a network of RT PCs, Suns, and microVaxen, so they get compiled on
all three machines and all compiler differences must be ferreted out)