fast code and no morals

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sun Feb 9 10:35:39 AEST 1986

<Oh oh here it comes.  Watch out boy, it'll chew you up! \
Oh oh here it comes.  The LINE EATER!  [Line eater]>

In article <3032 at umcp-cs.UUCP>, chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

>C is portable:
>
>	/* echo */
>	#include <stdio.h>
>
>	main(argc, argv)
>		register int argc;
>		register char **argv;
>	{
>		register int i;
>
>		argc--;
>		for (i = 1; i <= argc; i++)
>			printf("%s%c", argv[i], i < argc ? ' ' : '\n');
>		exit(0);
>	}
>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)

What about a system where it is impossible to give command line arguments to a
program, like the early-stone-age card reading IBM systems?   Not all C runs
on Unix ya know....  (Is C only allowed to run on machines that DO allow
command line arguments?  What does the proposed ANSI C standard say about this?)
Would this program just get run with an argc of 0 in the case of a stone
age system?  As a matter of fact, must a system support both upper and lower
case characters to support C?  (Would Cyber-type machines with 6 bit character
codes be out of the running?)  Perhaps nobody these days would WANT such a sys-
tem, rendering the point moot, but for the sake of argument :-), what if someone
had such a system and wanted to keep on using it, but with C rather than say,
Fortran (which would have no trouble with the absence of command line arguments
and the single case of characters)?
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy