exit() on VMS

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Feb 12 19:49:12 AEST 1986

In article <1046 at decwrl.DEC.COM> dyer at dec-vaxuum.UUCP (Jym Dyer) writes:
>> exit(0);
>
>   This isn't portable to VMS.  (-: Does anybody care about VMS,
>though? :-)  0 is an undefined status code in VMS!

I would hope that on VMS, exit(0) maps to status code 1 (success,
no error; it is possible on VMS to have failures without errors
and successes with errors), and that anything else maps to a status
that indicates an `unspecified error'.  VMS C should provide another
`exit'-like routine that actually just passes its argument on to
the termination system call.  Use of the *latter* routine would
be unportable, though preferred for VMS system programs.

(It might be feasible to have exit() map values from <sysexits.h>
to VMS status codes, I suppose.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu