Record Locking

COTTRELL, JAMES cottrell at NBS-VMS.ARPA
Wed Feb 19 10:16:45 AEST 1986

/*
Dagwynn once lamented the absence of record locking in BSD:
> If I had it, I'd sure use it.  (RECORD locking more than FILE locking.)
> Living on a 4.2BSD kernel, I have no record locking at all (my System V
> emulation obviously can't compensate adequately for this lack).

Allow me to propose a kluge. Since on can create lockfiles of any
name, create a parrallel directory /whatever/lock, and create lock
files of the form `name#number' in that directory. Thus to lock
record three of file `foo' create a lock /whatever/lock/foo#3'.
Multi-record lox are more difficult, but can be done with a little
head scratching. Yeah, it ain't pretty, but it just might work.

> Since record locking is a recent addition, it is not surprising that
> previous existing utilities don't use it; that proves nothing about its
> possible future importance.

Most assuredly.

	jim		cottrell at nbs
*/