Precedent for use of =

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Sat Jul 12 23:24:48 AEST 1986

In article <3147 at jhunix.UUCP> ins_apmj at jhunix.ARPA (Patrick M Juola) writes:
>	You've never seen the statements at the beginning of proofs, where
>they assign properties to variables....  If you want to assign to vector
>z the length of 1, you write "|z|=1."  Or at least I do.  How do you do it?

Much as I hate to continue this totally bogus discussion,
I really have to point out that |z|=1 is not any sort of
an assignment.  Usually it is seen in a context such as
"assume |z|=1; then..." which is a Boolean use of = as a
relational operator.

But this has nothing to do with C and should move to net.math,
if you really want to discuss meaning of symbols in mathematics.