Taking the address of a register (R

aglew at ccvaxa.UUCP aglew at ccvaxa.UUCP
Mon Jul 14 02:56:00 AEST 1986

>In article <2036 at brl-smoke.ARPA> rbj at icst-cmr.ARPA writes:
>~> Suggestion to make the compiler introduce a temporary when the
>~> address of a register variable is passed as argument to a function.
>
>Rather than cluttering the compiler with more crap than this, write an
>optimizing compiler that doesn't need register declarations but can find
>out for itself what variables are best put in registers.
>
>If you want to make the language's level higher by doing something to
>register variables, remove them from the language instead of giving them
>'pseudo-auto' status.
>
>	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido at mcvax.uucp>

The "~>" summary quote is a good idea, but it has been pointed out that it
messes up Hazeltine terminals that use tilde as an escape. How about "... >"

Talking about crap - I'm all for good optimizing compilers that can put
variables in registers - but I still want to be able to have explicit control
when the global optimizer isn't smart enough (frequently).

Making a language's level higher does not mean removing low level constructs
like register variables, it means making them unnecessary. Your optimizing
compiler should be able to optimize in the presence of human added
constraints.

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew at gswd-vms