decline of net.lang.c

Donald L. Nash dlnash at ut-ngp.UUCP
Thu Jul 10 02:51:41 AEST 1986

In article <119 at mruxe.UUCP>, cgw at mruxe.UUCP (C Waldman) writes:
> Well, the time has finally come for me to hit the old 'U' key...
> too bad, this newsgroup used to be more interesting- seems like
> all I ever see anymore are people asking questions that could
> be answered by a quick look at the manual- you call yourselves C
> programmers, and you _still_ dont understand pointers? But the last straw
> when reading the most recent posting on this = versus == versus
> := issue-  MEYER at RADC-TOPS20.ARPA proposes a 'new angle' on the question-
> how many times do tou use each, and how many keystrokes, and wonders what K&R
> would think of that... well, it's on page 17:
>    Since assignment is about twice as frequent as equality testing in C
> programs, it's apporpriate that the operator be half as long.
>

>    The question about negative bit-shifts was of the same ilk- the answer
> is in front of your nose, if you just look-
>
>    I just don't have the time to read this group anymore. bye-bye.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  The only thing I have to add is that
net.lang.c has the lowest return of information for my time invested in
reading it and that it contributes about 10 to 15% of the news I have to
wade through because of the high volume of junk posted to it.  How do you
spell relief?  I spell it "u-n-s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e".  Flames to net.lang.c,
since I won't be there to read them anyway.

					Don Nash

UUCP:    ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
APRA:    dlnash at ngp.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
BITNET:  cceu001 at utadnx

        Money for nothing and chicks for free?  WHERE?!?!