Survey of C Compilers

John R. Levine johnl at ima.UUCP
Mon Jul 21 13:01:55 AEST 1986

In article <613 at looking.UUCP> brad at looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>6) Wizard C.
>	No personal experience, but friends say it is fairly good.  From too
>	small a company if this matters to you, though.
>So in the long run, Microsoft C is the winner. ...

Funny, in my book the problem with MS-C is that it's from too large a
company.  On the infrequent occasions when I have trouble with my Wizard
C compiler, I call up Mr. Wizard, chat with him for a few minutes, and
I can count on my problem being fixed in the next update, usually within
a month.  Good luck getting Microsoft to do that.  I compared Wizard and
MS-C a while ago and found that Wizard won marginally in code size and
substantially in bug-free-ness and diagnostics.  Both MS and Wizard have
new releases of their compilers out and I have yet to try them.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine at YALE.EDU