C compiler survey

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Mon Jul 7 11:19:14 AEST 1986

I'm writing a book about portable C software, and I'd like to make it
as accurate and complete as possible.  While I'm reasonably familiar
with several versions of UNIX, and with somewhat familiar with MS DOS,
I haven't made much use of some other important operating systems where
C is heavily used, including the Macintosh, Amiga, Atari ST, VMS, IBM
MVS, and so on.

I'd like to hear from users of these other systems who are very familiar
with their C implementations.  I'd like to know which compiler and C
library are most widely used on that system, where I can get a copy of
the manual, and any comments about portability to that particular system.
If you might be interested in reviewing a copy of the book to check for
correctness (when it's ready) I'd also be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

	Mark Horton
	mark at cbosgd.ATT.COM
	mark at Berkeley.EDU