C programming survey

Kaufer - Lopez - Pratap steve at endor.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 22 04:09:40 AEST 1986

Hello.  A big favor to ask of all of you:

I am attempting to get a general idea of who is using C and
for what sorts of projects.  I am also very interested to know
which compilers and debugging tools / programming aids
are being used.

If everyone could take just a moment to mail me comments, I will happily
summarize the results to the net.  References to similar studies
would also be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, I am very interested to hear about:

    What is the purpose of your current project?
    How many programmers are working with you?
    What is the target machine?  target OS ?
    What is the development machine?  development OS ?
    Which compiler do you use ?  Do you like it ?
    What percent of your time is spent debugging?
    Do you have/use/like/dislike any of the following:
        Static program checker (e.g. lint) ?
        Debugger (e.g. sdb/dbx) ?
        Version control (e.g. sccs/rcs) ?
        Automatic program generation (e.g. make) ?
        Other tools (e.g. profiler) ?

Thank you very much for your time,

        Stephen Kaufer
        steve at harvard.HARVARD.EDU
        {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!steve