PRECEDENT FOR USE OF =

Wayne A. Christopher faustus at ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Jul 1 06:05:08 AEST 1986

In article <1645 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, JUNG_E%SITVXA.BITNET at WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:
> Why can't C be like everybody else?  Practically every language uses
> the equals sign, "=", to test for equality, not as an assignment operator.

This is a useless argument, since it won't change anything... However,
I can't agree that K&R were mistaken -- just because all other
languages use = differently, that doesn't mean that they had to.  I
think their argument in favor of = and == is a good onew, certainly
better than "Pascal uses := for assignment".  If I use C 90% of the time
and other languages 10% of the time, I think it makes more sense to ask
"Why can't the other languages be like C..."

> If they had my brains, they would have used Pascal's method.

The fact that Pascal uses := is an argument against it, since Pascal is
simply *ugly*...

	Wayne