Precedent for use of =

Patrick M Juola ins_apmj at jhunix.UUCP
Thu Jul 10 23:40:45 AEST 1986

In article <2158 at ihlpg.UUCP> tainter at ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) writes:
>> Perhaps you know more languages than I.  Let me list those whose
>> syntax I remember, and count `= for assigment' vs. `= for equality'
>> (or both).
>> 	Assignment		Equality
>> 	----------		--------
	[ List deleted ]
>ADD:
>	Assignment		Equality
>	----------		---------
>				mathematics
>				logic
>--j.a.tainter

				try 			mathematics (both)
							logic (both)

	You've never seen the statements at the beginning of proofs, where
they assign properties to variables....  If you want to assign to vector
z the length of 1, you write "|z|=1."  Or at least I do.  How do you do it?

--
  seismo!umcp-cs \                      	Pat Juola
    ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_apmj		Hopkins Maths

 "I'm kind of tired.  I was up all night trying to round off infinity."