WITH statement

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.ARPA
Tue Jul 22 06:21:26 AEST 1986

Re: WITH statement:
	The ambiguous condition scares me too, and I think I could live
	much better with being able to take the address of the thing
	and then using it, like:

	       recpointer := &recarray[selector];
	       recpointer^.foo := 1;
	       recpointer^.bar := 2;

The ambiguity is worse than you might think. I happen to think that
all structure members that are logically the same thing ought to
have the same name. This was not allowed in original C because
structures shared the same name space. On the other hand, you could
use any structure member with any structure type.

I am glad I learned C after the change. Requiring different names
for the same item is another example where C outgrew Pascal.

	Not only has UMD5 arisen as a MicroVax from its previous
	incarnation as an 11/44, but I am using a Macintosh Plus and
	MacKermit to type this in.

Congrats.

	Are we having fun yet?

Yow!

	umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
	Ben Cranston zben at umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92
	                  umd2.BITNET     "via HASP with RSCS"

I still see you don't believe in TABS.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
Hello...  IRON CURTAIN?  Send over a SAUSAGE PIZZA! World War III?  No thanks!