Survey of C Compilers

David J. Fiander djfiander at watnot.UUCP
Wed Jul 23 00:33:23 AEST 1986

>> I have used several C compilers in my projects and here are the summaries:
>>
>> 		- Support has been reasonable for me, but I'm a beta tester.
>
>Support has been poor to useless for us.  The questions we ask usually get
>pretty useless answers, because they are usually telling us to do things
>that the manuals warned about.

Whenever we phoned up about a problem we were generally told that "that problem
doesn't exist" because no-one else had reported it.

One big bug that we found was not in the compiler itself but in the library.
In our product, we would try to malloc() most (if not all) of the free memory,
and after enough malloc()'s, we would start getting back pointers that pointed
into space that we already owned.  Eventually we took the malloc() and free()
out of K&R and used that instead of the library routines.
--

"Butterflies are free.  This means you can have as many as you want"
				-Sally Brown

    UUCP  : {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utzoo,clyde}!watmath!watnot!djfiander
    CSNET : djfiander%watnot at waterloo.CSNET
    ARPA  : djfiander%watnot%waterloo.csnet at csnet-relay.ARPA
    BITNET: djfiande at watdcs