Pascals Origins

Kenneth Ng ken at argus.UUCP
Wed Jul 9 11:54:49 AEST 1986

In article <2007 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, rbj at icst-cmr (Root Boy Jim) writes:

> Unfortunately it teaches them bad habits as well. I was freaked royally
> when my brother told me years ago that there were no provisions for
> separate compilation. Everything in one source file, and they make
> people write large scale projects in it? Pure insanity.
I believe Wirth had said that seperate compilation was a tweak, and
that people should concentrate on faster compilers.  I guess he
changed his mind.

> The I/O is inscrutable to a wizard, much less a novice.
>From my experiences with Pascal I/O, I've found it easier to use 360
assembler and a real library linker/loader than to use Pascal I/O.
I've even found it easier (although non portable), to call Fortran
reads and writes instead of Pascal's.

> Modula 2 was written to cover Pascal's mistakes. Perhaps Pascal was
> written to cover Lilith's mistakes as well.
And Ada was written to fix Modula 2's mistakes.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
soon uucp:ken at rigel.cccc.njit.edu
bitnet(prefered) ken at njitcccc.bitnet
soon bitnet: ken at orion.cccc.njit.edu
(Yes, we are slowly moving to RFC 920, kicking and screaming)

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stonn over me"
Romulan: "Permit me the glory of the kill"