Register Addresses

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr
Fri Jul 11 00:54:00 AEST 1986

RBJ->	>But Wait! That's a Mimic! Register variables are really fast auto
	>variables, so after `f' returns, your static_p is worthless anyhow.

Gwyn->	But the objection is still valid.  If the compiler were to fake up
	some addressable storage for a copy of a register variable, then
	afterward it would need to ensure that the contents of that location
	track the contents of the register, since the pointer could then be
	legitimately used to refer to the data in the register.  This would
	negate the whole point of "register".

Would it? Okay, so we have to pushmi-pullyu the register anytime we
call any function, or reference any global variable starwise, or
perhaps reference  either the result of the function or even any
arguments originally passed by reference.

This is starting to get compilicated! Anyone for a 500k C Compiler?

It would probably still be smaller and faster than ADA :-)

	Dennis knew what he was doing.  The restriction of & applied to a
	register variable is deliberate and sensible.

I agree. I was merely speculating on the tradeoff's involved.

So when are they going to start making droids with addressable registers again?

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	He is the MELBA-BEING...the ANGEL CAKE...XEROX him...XEROX him --