Poorly terminated header files.

rgenter at BBN-LABS-B.ARPA rgenter at BBN-LABS-B.ARPA
Wed Jul 16 05:15:14 AEST 1986

     I can think of one reason why the Reiser CPP treats free standing # as
a comment when not at the beginning of the line: this is was many assemblers
use as comments.  However, /lib/cpp as shipped with vanilla 4.2 BSD just passes
it on through, causing /lib/ccom to barf with the classic:

	illegal character 043 (octal)
	cannot recover from earlier errors, I'm stupid! (er...goodbye!)

What is worse is when you have a header file that ends with an unterminated
comment, as in:

	loser.h:
		#define LAST_LOSER 99	/* the last loser (oops)... /*

	main.c:

	#include "loser.h"
	#include "victim.h"

					/* and now the code... */

Gee, where did victim.h go?

P.S.
     Why does zarathustra.think.com think that it's New Year's Day, 1987?
Or has the ARPAnet finally gone translight?
--------
Rick Genter 				BBN Laboratories Inc.
(617) 497-3848				10 Moulton St.  6/512
rgenter at labs-b.bbn.COM  (Internet new)	Cambridge, MA   02238
rgenter at bbn-labs-b.ARPA (Internet old)	linus!rgenter%BBN-LABS-B.ARPA (UUCP)