Pointers on weird architectures

Mark Hjelm hjelm at g.cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 3 14:03:26 AEST 1986

I am currently writing some code which pokes around memory
and examines data structures at run time using a type description.
The code is only given the type description and a generic pointer
and must do all the alignment and whatever else itself.  This is
pretty easy on Vaxes and RTs and such.  My question is: how are
C data structures and pointers implemented on less traditional
architectures?  I would like to parameterize the differences
as much as possible, so I need several different examples.
So... if you are familiar with any alternative architectures
(segmented, tagged, ???), please help me out.

Thanks,
Mark

ARPA:   hjelm at g.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP:   seismo!g.cs.cmu.edu!hjelm
CSNET:  hjelm%a.cs.cmu.edu at csnet-relay