Aggregate Declarations without Braces

Steven McGeady mcg at omepd
Sat Sep 13 04:25:32 AEST 1986

A question has arisen among some colleagues of mine as to whether the
following lines of C code are valid declarations:

	char c[1] = 'a';
	int a[1] = 1;
	int b[2] = 1;
	typedef struct { int a; } fakeint; fakeint i = 1;

The following is a message (from me, incidentally), trying to defend
this practice as legal, despite a dramatic lack of (direct) support from
either K&R or X3J11.

As pointed out below, this works on PCC (both PCC and PCC-2/QCC, as though
it mattered).

Any informed comments on this subject would be welcomed, preferably
directed via mail to me, rather than to the net.  I promise to digest
the responses and post them.

S. McGeady
Oregon Microcomputer Engineering
Intel, Corp

tektronix!psu-cs!omepd!mcg, sun!verdix!inteloa!omepd!mcg