putw return value

notes at hcx1.UUCP notes at hcx1.UUCP
Sun Sep 14 07:15:46 AEST 1986

Question:  What should "putw" return?

Our I/O library returns the error code for the "putw" operation, which is
usually 0.   In perusing BSD4.2 and ATT5.2.2 source, I see the same
functionality.

Yet the man pages seem to indicate that "putw" should return the "word"
written.

Is there a discrepancy between the code and the documentation?

(The Perennial C test suite makes mention in a "bugs" section that the
VAX 11/750 also returns "0" for putw in the particular test.)

Dave Ray -- uucp: {ucf-cs|allegra}!novavax!hrshcx!hcx1!daver