Functions that never return

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sat Sep 27 08:42:56 AEST 1986

In article <3347 at watmath.UUCP> rbutterworth at watmath.UUCP (Ray
Butterworth) writes:
>Exactly where would you put this "void exit(int) {for (;;);}" ?
>I imagine you mean putting it in the lint library, but if that is
>the case, lint won't see it until the second pass.  It is the first
>pass that needs to know that exit() doesn't return ....

What first pass?  What second pass?  (I know: the ones in your
implementation.  Yes, they are there in mine as well.  What does
that matter?)

Perhaps it is just a Small Matter of Programming, but at least in
an initial design phase---which is all this is likely ever to be---
one should not worry about implementation details.

[For those who have not heard the phrase, SMOP, a Small Matter of
Programming, is an ironic term attached to programming tasks that
are by no means trivial.]
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu