Help with BDSC float

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at watrose.UUCP
Mon Sep 15 03:48:12 AEST 1986

In article <3211 at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> moore at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Andrew M. Moore) writes:
>   My BDS C compiler doesn't want to accept  %6.3f  (example) in printf's.
>Nor does it accept "float" as a data type declaration.  On some compilers,
>I don't have to declare a variable as "float" before using it:
>
>	printf("Float: %6.3f", (5.0/4.0));
>
>...but in BDS, this is not accepted.  How is "float" different in BDS C?

   BDS C 1.5 does NOT support the float data type.  If you want to use floating
point arithmetic then you must use an additional library of functions called
float.c.  It's public domain and found on most RCP/M's.  I've heard rumour that
BDS C (2.0?) has floating point arithmetic and is much more K&R standard.
You'll have to check with the author to see if this is true though.
   Mark Dapoz