Long Branches

jsdy at hadron.UUCP jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Thu Feb 5 22:34:54 AEST 1987

In article <3950007 at nucsrl.UUCP> ram at nucsrl.UUCP (Raman Renu) writes:
>   I have a problem in using the C compiler and VAX assembler in our local
>4.3BSD(VAX) site.  I have a program which has a huge(>900lines) switch
>statement.
>The assembler chokes on (>32K long) long branches.

We had this problem on an Altos [29]86, 8086 Xenix machine.
Never thought that I'd see it on a Vax!  The compiler should
correctly interpret this.  However, the only portable solution
we could figure out that was (relatively) quick and easy was
to translate the case into if/else if/else if/ ...

Speaking of which, I'd like to promote the use of the form:
	if (...) {
	} else if (...) {
	} else if (...) {
		...  ...
	}
instead of indenting each successive "if".  Where appropriate
only, of course.  This is advocated in one of the early C Style
books.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy at hadron.COM (not yet domainised)