Available No. of Registers

Alan J Rosenthal flaps at utcsri.UUCP
Sat Feb 14 16:19:57 AEST 1987

In article <873 at celerity.UUCP> jjw at celerity.UUCP (Jim (JJ) Whelan) writes:
>K&R's suggestion that the register variables are assigned to registers in
>order of appearance solves my problem -- I just put the variables in order
>of importance and let the compilers handle it from there.

Unfortunately, this is not sufficient in the case of register formals.
Consider something like:

	f(n)
	register int n;
	{
	    register int i;

where it is considered more useful to put 'i' in a register than 'n'.  It
is not possible to arrange the declarations in the appropriate order, and

	f(nformal)
	int nformal;
	{
		register int i,n = nformal;

, which is often recommended, wastes an int on all machines.

--

Alan J Rosenthal

UUCP: {backbone}!seismo!mnetor!utgpu!flaps, ubc-vision!utai!utgpu!flaps,
      or utzoo!utgpu!flaps (among other possibilities)
ARPA: flaps at csri.toronto.edu
CSNET: flaps at toronto
BITNET: flaps at utorgpu