Help needed -> fseek() and ftell() in VMS VAX C

wong at rtech.UUCP wong at rtech.UUCP
Wed Feb 18 04:25:22 AEST 1987

In article <384 at umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP> jwabik at umnd-cs.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>I'm trying to fseek my way around a large (1.5MB) file using VAX VMS C,
>and am having absolutely NO LUCK.

Yes, indeed.  The seek routines for VAX/VMS C work only as expected
for byte-stream files (a new file type DEC C supports.)  On record
files, they do not work the same (although they do do something.)
What 'ftell()' does on record files is return the byte offset of the
next record!  What 'fseek()' does on record files is seek to a given
record.  You can kind of kludge this to do what you want, but it's
not pretty (or even general.)

--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong