Order of registers

m5d at bobkat.UUCP m5d at bobkat.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 04:23:09 AEST 1987

In article <5485 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <195 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>
>braner at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
>>"Wastes an int"???  - nformal is on the stack anyway,
>
>Is it?  (Have a care with that answer!  Try some different compilers
>on some different architectures.)
>	[ ... ]
>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7690)
>UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu

Does this imply that some compilers notice the "register" declaration
and pass the argument in a register?  Seems to me this only could be
done for "static" functions.

Hmmmm....

Well, I've thought about it and I can't think of any reason it woudln't
work.  That could save a lot of time, but the nastiness of
implementation makes my left hemisphere hurt.

If you have something else in mind Chris, I'd like to hear it.  Clever
code generation tricks makes for great party conversation.

--
Mike McNally, mercifully employed at Digital Lynx ---
    Where Plano Road the Mighty Flood of Forest Lane doth meet,