RATFOR (A FORTRAN/C-Language hybrid)

Bruce Becker becker at ziebmef.uucp
Tue Jul 5 02:13:39 AEST 1988

In article <3630 at pdn.UUCP> reggie at pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>In article <2068 at hubcap.UUCP> fpst at hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) writes:
>>From article <588 at wsccs.UUCP>, by val at wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):
>>>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>>>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.
>>
>>Ratfor should produce Fortan source.
>>See you friendly unix guru
>
>    Yes, but the intermediate Fortran is not exactly something I would want
>to replace the ratfor with!  It has been some time since I used Ratfor, but
>it produced Fortran IV, not f77 output.  Perhaps some means of converting
>Ratfor to f77 is what the poster was after.

>George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
>..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207
>Phone: (813) 530-2376				P.O. Box 2826

	Some time ago I rewrote RATFOR to emit Fortran77 code, and, while
	I was at it, speeded it up about 4-5 times, and extended the language
	somewhat. This was for a MVS IBM mainframe system under ISPF,
	so that RATFOR (or RATF77 as it was known) was part of a the
	production environment. This resulted in a much better usage
	of Fortran facilities, although had a reasonable version of 'C'
	been available, it would have been preferable...

		The project of converting RATFOR to C ws considered, but never
	undertaken - It doesn't seem in retrospect to be a greatly
	difficult project, as the RATFOR compiler has most of
	the parts in it to be modified to the new target... The biggest
	part is the addition of a symbol table & its management...

Bruce Becker
UUCP: ...!unicus!becker!bdb, ...!lsuc!humvax!becker, ...!ncrcan!ziebmef!becker
BitNet: BECKER at HUMBER.BITNET