Value of microeffiency (was: Re: Optimal ...)

ebg at clsib21.UUCP ebg at clsib21.UUCP
Wed Jul 13 03:25:01 AEST 1988

>>	A linked-list sort?
>>
>>	Once upon a time I got very tired of the slowness of the
>>	UNIX sort program. So I wrote a clone of it. I invented a
>>	whole new algorithm for it which you could call a
>>	linked-list merge sort.  It beat every other sort method
>>	that I tested hands-down.  Its only drawback is the
>>	memory for the linked list.  (Actually, I'd bet that
>>	someone invented this sort before me, but at the time,
>>	I'd never heard of anything like it.)

I "invented" the same sort of algorithm when I was working in Fort
Lauderdale, only it was because I was tired of storing sorted lists
on intermediate files on disk.  I've seen nothing on it either since
then, maybe someone has a reference.

Since it was "invented" in Fort Lauderdale, do we know each other?

	--ed gordon (data systems associates, 513a ridgefield
			circle, clinton, MA 01510)
.