Storage Allocation/compaction

Sylvia Dutcher sdutcher at netxcom.UUCP
Fri Jul 22 07:38:05 AEST 1988

In article <540 at sbsvax.UUCP> greim at sbsvax.UUCP (Michael Greim) writes:
>In article <2045 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, lupton at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Robert Lupton) writes:

	(lines deleted)

>< Does anyone have a public domain storage allocator that could replace
>< malloc/realloc/free that also has a call to compactify the memory? I
>< don't wan't to write one, and I don't have a source licence to add a
>< call to the system version. From what I remember of the 4.2 malloc, using
>< realloc on freed space wouldn't help, as it doesn't compact the different
>< free lists.
><
>< 		Robert Lupton

	(reply from Michael Greim deleted)
	(sorry about this, I couldn't find the original posting)

Try Dr. Dobb's Journal (of Software Tools) from June 1988.  It discusses
malloc and free problems and includes C code.  I haven't tried it, but it
might help.  The column is C Chest by Allen Holub.

Good luck.

--
Sylvia Dutcher			    *   The likeliness of things
NetExpress Communications, Inc.	    *   to go wrong is in direct