Self-modifying code

Allen J. Baum baum at Apple.COM
Thu Jul 28 03:50:12 AEST 1988

[]
>In article <61459 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>I don't see that, for example, doing these checks in microcode, as opposed to
>regular code, is *ipso facto* the only way to do things....
 Presumably, hardware (done in parallel with fetches) is the way to go
>... the questions that capability machines pose are:
>
>	1) How much "safer" are they than "conventional" machines plus
>	   compilers that generate run-time checks?
>
>and
>
>	2) If this extra safety is expensive, is it worth the cost?

In some sense, the cost is very little, probably not much more than your
standard segmentation scheme. The hardware cost is usually a tag bit, which
is fast, pretty cheap on chip, but possibly expensive in your memory system.

--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385