Optimal structure field ordering

Rob Carriere rob at raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jul 9 00:46:26 AEST 1988

In article <4347 at pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> faustus at ic.Berkeley.EDU
(Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
>In article <5233 at ihlpf.ATT.COM>, nevin1 at ihlpf.ATT.COM (00704a-Liber) writes:
>> > [separate compilation is impossible with structure optimization
>> >  that is not pre-arranged]
>> [not true, as long as the compiler is self-consistent]
> [various counterexamples]

Not to mention, what if you're debugging, and part of your program is
compiled *with* and part *without* optimization?  I've lost count of
how many times I've had to do that, but each every one of them I sure
was glad when the compiler turned out not to be outsmarting itself.

No, you say, either you optimize, or you don't; half-half is asking
for trouble!  Sure is, but when the optimized half is some commercial
library your site doesn't even have the sources for, there isn't much
you can do but ask for trouble and hope it's going to be out of stock.

Rob Carriere
"I like HLL's, but when push comes to shove, I want to know what the
compiler is doing behind my back."