Partial application in C

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Sat Jul 9 07:06:56 AEST 1988

In article <429 at uwovax.uwo.ca> 16012_3045 at uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) writes:
>	Unless my memory is failing me completely, I believe that OS/2 will
>absolutely prohibit "executing data".

The book "Inside OS/2" claims that OS/2 _does_ permit the execution of data,
and tells you the names of the system calls you need to do it.  What you do
is to assign one segment two segment numbers, one of which describes it as
code, the other of which describes it as data.  As the book points out,
such a facility is very important if you want e.g. a data base system which
compiles queries on the fly.

>	Besides, I thought that self-modifying code was (a) extremely difficult
>to write, and (b) considered poor programming practice.

Self-modifying code is not the point:  the point is programs which write
_other_ programs and call them.