Self-modifying code

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Mon Jul 11 23:59:03 AEST 1988

In article <225800044 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I can do three things:

Although you didn't spell out the details of your situation,
I'm sure there are quite a few other possibilities.  For example,
one can index an array to obtain the switch flag.

As a significant example of C's efficiency for graphics programming,
virtually all the code in the Blit, DMD (5620), and MTG (630)
bitmapped terminals was written in C, and their graphics operations
are extremely fast.  No self-modifying code was necessary.

One of my "back burner" projects is to produce a display-list driven
interactive 3D viewer for these terminals (and probably port it to
Suns).  I have no doubt that it can be done quite nicely while
sticking to the C language rules.