Programmed code generation: Native vs. Pcode

Mike Coffin mike at arizona.edu
Mon Jul 18 05:10:56 AEST 1988

>From article <23955 at bu-cs.BU.EDU>, by bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein):
> Name three Lisps that people on this list are likely to have heard of
> which generate a "p-code" and not some form of machine language from
> their compiler. I can't think of one (unless you're referring to T or
> Scheme which are more or less lisp, a lot closer than Prolog or
> Smalltalk anyhow.)
No need to make an exception for T;  it generates native machine
code.  Also no need to call Scheme "more or less lisp"; it *is* a
lisp.  The invention of Common Lisp did not suddenly "unlispify" all
previous lisps.

Mike Coffin				mike at arizona.edu
Univ. of Ariz. Dept. of Comp. Sci.	{allegra,cmcl2,ihnp4}!arizona!mike
Tucson, AZ  85721			(602)621-4252