Optimal structure field ordering

Carl Paukstis carlp at iscuva.ISCS.COM
Sat Jul 2 09:01:56 AEST 1988

In article <531 at philmds.UUCP> leo at philmds.UUCP (L.J.M. de Wit) writes:
[...]
>therefore, there may be unnamed holes in a structure.
>
>which explains everything, and frustrates any hope on optimization
>(only the left-to-right puzzles me, most program text being written
>top-to-bottom; B.T.W. what do Chinese program texts look like ? 8-).

All the ones I've seen look pretty much like yours and mine, since they are
of course written in English.  On U.S.- (and Japan)- built equipment.  The
Chinese programmers who were unfortunate enough to have me as their C
instructor were quite good at programming and logic.  However, they were
very poor at constructing meaningful data names and meaningful comments in
the code.  (Naturally, I would be much worse trying to write comments in
Chinese. But I got REAL good at using chopsticks.)

I guess I've debugged worse code than they wrote, but 'wdate', 'wwdate',
'wwwdate', and 'www' all appeared in several functions, for example.

(I now return you to your regularly-scheduled debate about NULL FORTRAN.)

--
Carl Paukstis    +1 509 927 5600 x5321  |"I met a girl who sang the blues
                                        | and asked her for some happy news
UUCP:     carlp at iscuvc.ISCS.COM         | but she just smiled and turned away"
          ...uunet!iscuvc!carlp         |                    - Don MacLean