lint on Altos 2000 is BROKE BROKE BROKE!

dieter at nmtsun.UUCP dieter at nmtsun.UUCP
Fri Jul 1 02:13:11 AEST 1988

In article <259 at oglvee.UUCP> jr at .UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:

> function argument ( number ) used inconsistently
>    fprintf( arg 1 )   	llibc(259) :: t2.c(12)
>
>I still don't capiche why lint is squawking about arg 1 to fprintf!

You have a good question.  Sun's lint only complains about "defined but
not used" type things.  Try looking at /usr/lib/lint/llibc (or whatever
the equivalent is on your machine).  The one here (llib-lc) has:

		/* VARARGS2 */
	int	fprintf( f, s ) FILE *f; char *s; {return 1;}

I have a funny feeling they have "int f" instead of "FILE *f".  That's
more of a bug in the description file than in lint itself.  I am assuming
that your vendor supplies the human-readable version of the lint libraries,
which is probably a very silly thing to assume.  However, maybe you got
lucky.

Dieter Muller
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
...cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!dieter
dieter at nmtsun.nmt.edu