lint on Altos 2000 is BROKE BROKE BROKE!

Jim Rosenberg jr at oglvee.UUCP
Sat Jul 16 08:46:57 AEST 1988

>From article <326 at ateng.UUCP>, by chip at ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg):
> I had this problem under SCO Xenix, until I re-generated the lint object
> files.  What?  You say you didn't know that lint can generate object files?
> Well, it can.  Look for "/usr/lib/llib*.ln".  These are pre-digested
> versions of the human-readable lint library files.  They were, it seems,
> created back before some change was made to <stdio.h> and nobody at SCO
> bothered to regenerate them.
>
> To make new ones, at least under SCO Xenix, try something like this:
>
> 	$ su
> 	# cd /usr/lib
> 	# ln llibc llibc.c
> 	# lint -oc llibc.c
> 	# lint -LARGE -oc llibc.c       # only for Xenix/286
> 	# rm llibc.c
> 	# exit
> 	$

Sigh.  (64K times).  My lint won't swallow -o.  Does anyone know how to remake
the .ln files on various versions of lint?  Hint:  tell me how to do it on
the earliest version of lint you've ever heard of & I bet it will work.  lint
has a front end which is a shell script; here is my getopt line from that
script:

set --  `getopt abchl:npuvxI:D:U: $*`

strings on /usr/lib/lint1 shows nothing that looks like a getopt string; when
I used a doctored version of /usr/bin/lint and passed -o through to
/usr/lib/lint1 it gagged and told me that was an illegal option.

Then I get to figure out how to tweak /usr/lib/llibc so that lint no longer
gives me **FRIGGING SYNTAX ERRORS** when run on its own lint library!!!
I've played with this a little and the functions that are declared FILE *
in the lint library cause copious syntax errors -- with completely bogus
line numbers!

This is getting extremely exasperating.  I have better things to do with my
time.  Software engineering tools are the crown jewel of UNIX; one is supposed
to USE them to improve programmer productivity, not waste time fixing them.

Oh well, sorry for flaming, but I'm getting peeved.  Hey, all I want is to
find out where the warts are in *MY* code!!!
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr