Union type conversions

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Jul 15 13:00:56 AEST 1988

In article <3714 at ece-csc.UUCP> jnh at ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>Sorry, you're just plain wrong here.  From page 140 of K&R, I quote:

... from the *de*scriptive part of the text, which says only that

>	"In effect, a union is a structure in which all members have
>	 OFFSET ZERO [emphasis added] ..."

The point of this quote is to warn users that writing on any one
element of a union *may* stomp any other element, not that it *must*
stomp other elements.  Alan Bowler is right; unions make few
guarantees.  On the other hand, a compiler that does not conserve
storage with union definitions is probably not worth using.