compiler detection of potential run-time errors

Steven Ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Sat Jul 30 06:29:44 AEST 1988

>My standing comment on this one is "programmers do not write arbitrary
>programs".  I have no objection to monkey programmers being told "this
>program is so poorly written that verifying the absence of run-time errors
>is beyond this compiler's ability".  In fact, I have no objection to real
>programmers occasionally getting the same message, provided some attempt
>is made to identify the source of the problem.

A point to remember is the compiler doesn't know who or what wrote the code.

I take it then the idea to do prove what can be proved, refute what can be
refuted, and it's the middle ground which is rejected. I see no objections
to this approach if it is well defined.