C vs. FORTRAN

Steven Ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Tue Jul 5 10:40:55 AEST 1988

>	I'm not sure I'm following this argument (or that it should be
>followed) but when has that ever stopped anyone.  Arguments about efficiency
>of different schemes are affected by how the hardware works.  In general,
>however, a static area calling sequence scheme will be more efficient than
>a stack scheme because the dirty work is done at link time rather than at
>execution time.  Attend:

Thankyou.

Actually, the real discussion is why does C have such a crippled argument
list? It is possible to pass a list of argument descriptors. The descriptor
list can be staticcally created and the overhead is just a register load
of a relocated address.

Why not? Because most of the C users out there are more interested in
speed than security. Is that efficient?